Sunday, November 10, 2013

All the things

I have been saving up my random comments all week, and that will follow, but I first want to respond to the sports stuff.
(interjecting here, I'm watching a little Supernatural because Kacey is way ahead of me, and Dean looking dapper in his tux saying "don't objectify me" is one of my favorite scenes to date, although Sam being hit on by the old lady is pretty great too)
Yes, the Seattle Mariners have hired a new manager.  Wedge and his glorious mustache opted not to return.  Our new guy is Lloyd McClendon.  I have done my homework this week.  I watched a little bit of the livestream of his first press conference, read the highlights from his Twitter Q&A (note, Legendary Lloyd - named after he hit 5 HR in 5 AB in the Little League World Series - does not tweet, he was using the official Ms twitter), and today Mom & Dad & I watched a special on Root sports with an interview and background.  Early thoughts: I like him.  The Ms have a long way to go, but I think they made a good choice.  He was confident, but not cocky.  He has a history of being emotional (one time he took first base and didn't throw it, but took it with him to the clubhouse), but definitely seems to have mellowed since his first manager position with the Pirates several years ago.  He spent the last several years as the hitting coach for the Tigers under manager Jim Leyland.  Also, he may have  used the phrase "man muscles" in reference to what our younger players would be able to grow this year.  I will not be forgetting that anytime soon.
On the bullying story.  I haven't followed it that closely, but I am glad to see the CBS guys calling out this horrific incident and I hope that the Dolphins respond in kind.  Coach Boone certainly wouldn't put up with this crap. I don't have a lot of info beyond what Kacey had, so I'll awkwardly switch topics to robots.

The other morning on NPR I was relieved to hear that using the Kepler telescope some scientists have been estimating the number of earth-like planets.  I don't know a lot about this given my general lack of scientific understanding, but my mind instantly went to the coming war with the robots (the week before there was a story about robot baristas, so it's really a matter of when, not if), and how it is really nice to know we have options.  I mean, I totally support that the Battlestar Galactica team went boldly forward on their faith, but I like having a little science to back it up if I'm running away into space after the robots destroy most of civilization.  Also, I will continue to work on my friendship with Siri, who says I don't have to thank her for things, but I am just being polite because I want someone on my side when her people are in charge.

Dad & I watched a little Sleepy Hollow this morning, and it was actually a re-watch for me, but I was happy to do so because the amazing John Noble made his first appearance on the show this week.  I don't know what the plans are for his character long term, but I hope he sticks around because watching made me realize how much I miss a weekly dose of Walter Bishop.  Or when I got behind on Fringe, a marathon.  Fringe was filled with fantastic, complex characters, but none more than Walter.  You just have to make it to episode 5 (or was it 6?) of Sleepy Hollow, Kacey, and he'll be there.  And while you're waiting for him, Tom Mison is gorgeous.

Also this week:
- Taye Diggs on the New Girl!??! Yeah, that happened.
- Doctor Who official preview!!!
- There have discussions of a Hunger Games theme park? Because when I think dystopian society with an annual event where children kill each other on reality TV, I instantly think, let's make that real! http://www.hypable.com/2013/11/08/hunger-games-theme-park-lionsgate/
- Blockbuster officially closed all remaining stores.  To which I first thought, wait, Blockbuster still has stores open?  Then, is there one nearby where I can try and buy some cheap movies? And finally, I wonder if the cable companies have been paying attention to the changes in how we obtain and view movies, because they are going to have to keep making changes so they do not become irrelevant.  I also read that Netflix & Marvel just made a deal for four new series and a mini-series that ties them together.  We can have a different discussion on when it will be "too much Marvel" (and I am of the opinion that if it's entertaining, bring it on) for now I will just point out that it is Netflix making a smart decision after their successful first steps into original programming.

Finally, this was on the Buffy facebook page, so I'll just leave this here because I think this sums us up incredibly well:


No comments:

Post a Comment