Sunday, January 26, 2014

Lessons in the apocalypse from Sam & Dean... JE

I really thought that I had the whole apocalypse thing down.  I mean, how many did Buffy face?  But they never really got into the whole four horsemen/witnesses/Revelations thing.  How did they miss that?  Maybe it was a reluctance to get all biblical?  I think I have to assume it was a focus on their own lore that obviously utilized things from other places (like the concept of an apocalypse), but had a different origin story.  The first evil and the creation of the slayer were at the core of their storylines, and they stayed pretty focused on that, especially as the seasons progressed.  So I am glad to have a new show in Supernatural that is giving us a Revelations 101 lesson.  And I really appreciate this because Sleepy Hollow is similarly dealing with a pending apocalypse and there are four horsemen (including a headless one, who is Death, see how it all relates) or at least four pending horsemen, and I'm so glad that I have this background knowledge from Supernatural so I have a little better grasp on what is going down because I've never read Revelations.  I'm strongly considering it though, it clearly has some awesome shit.  That said, I have stopped for a bit (not too long though), 3 episodes into season 6.  Season 5 is absolutely my favorite season so far.  So many things, and I really love Cas and Crowley, because they are awesome.  But as soon as you get close I'm going to watch again, because I am on a mission to catch up for Comicon.

Sherlock - Not only did I watch the premiere last weekend (love all the conspiracy theories about how he did it worked into the episode, and also, I love Molly and Mary), but I watched it the night it aired even though it didn't start until 10 pm.  And I'm probably going to do the same thing tonight.  Which is foolish because, you know, I have to work tomorrow and that is way past my bedtime, but it's Sherlock.  And it's totally worth it.  

Cannot wait for HIMYM this week, it's the 200th episode and apparently it's going to be from the Mom's perspective.  How she met Ted.  Super intense episode this past week.  Who do you think Lily called?  Her new friend the Mom? Ranjit? Her dad?
They renewed Parks & Rec for season 7.  I am really curious how they will go about keeping the show as "Parks & Rec" while still having Leslie move on to the bigger and better than she deserves.  This week Ann & Chris leave, so that will be a little emotional.  

Oscar Moviepalooze has officially begun.  I went to American Hustle on Friday.  I think it's a good movie, with amazing performances and a really interesting story.  It was, however, a little slow in the middle.  Jennifer Lawrence steals every scene she is in like the phenom that she is, and Amy Adams is near perfection.  Christian Bale gives the type of performance that I expect from him.  Jeremy Renner gives a great performance as a populist politician who is willing to do whatever to help his community.  Bradley Cooper's over-eager FBI agent is so intense that I actually felt anxious watching him continue to overstretch.  My only criticism there would be he is a little similar to his Silver Linings Playbook character, but stick with what you're good at.  While he obviously started with amazing talent, I think the director, David O. Russell, deserves some serious credit for pulling some of their best performances to date.  Fantastic supporting appearances from Robert DeNiro and Louis CK.  I really want to see Dallas Buyers Club, but I saw something about it being on DVD (and potentially iTunes/OnDemand) in a couple weeks, so I may wait and instead see Her or The Wolf of Wall Street next.  

I have been saving up links (mostly buzzfeed, of course) for you since my last post, although one of them was the Full House thing for the Superbowl, so we'll skip that.

1) You don't really need evidence, but you will appreciate this Marshall appreciation: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mwiggins/18-reason-why-you-want-marshall-eriksen-to-be-your-iau3

2) Since we have been all about the buzzfeed quizzes of late, here is another: http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/quiz-which-disney-prince-is-your-true-love    I got Aladdin, which is pretty awesome I think.

3) Since we are getting VERY close to your birthday, I thought this was appropriate: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/29-awesome-things-about-being-29

4) We are also getting relatively close to the Veronica Mars movie, and there was a pretty awesome trailer, which is broken down here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/krayford/the-25-best-parts-of-the-veronica-mars-movie-trail-ep5q  I was discussing some things about this with Sarah, and I've been giving some thought to the Logan vs Piz discussion.  I love Piz.  He's clearly the right choice, and in real life, we'd tell our friend to ditch Logan and stay with Piz.  But this isn't reality, this is the movies.  I don't go to the movies to see my characters make healthy life choices.  I want drama and tension and attempted reforming of bad boys (well, not too much reforming).  So I just want to be clear going into this movie, that I am 100% Team Logan.  And I'm totally hear for Piz if he needs to cry on someone's shoulder.

5) I just want you to know, for 60,000 and an Oscar nomination I would also do a 6 month movie shoot with Marty.  http://www.hypable.com/2014/01/22/jonah-hill-wolf-of-wall-street-pay-cut-oscar  Also, love Jonah Hill.

6) Finally, this list is amazing, and I follow this woman on tumblr, largely because (as this list demonstrates) we understand each other http://www.buzzfeed.com/bookoisseur/31-fantastic-fictional-characters-i-would-spend-a-fbwc  I particularly like her emphasis on the importance of forts.

Okay, that's about it for now.  Back to my Revolution catch-up marathon.  Somehow I was 4 episodes behind instead of the 2 I was on just about everything else.  I put the ABC and CW apps on my phone, so I have been watching shows on those channels on my commute.  Today I'm trying to get on top of the NBC, Fox, & CBS shows.  Did I mention I watch too much TV?


Sarah was protected in San Francisco by the Legion of Boom.  She escaped without injury, no new knife cuts.  Her journey back was uneventful, but immediately up her return she found herself in the midst of a polar vortex musical.  She has seen Frozen several times so she feels up to the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment