Monday, December 2, 2013

An Entertainment Filled Thanksgiving - JE

Greetings & Salutations!

Sorry for the delay, Thanksgiving was very busy.  Okay, there was a lot of sitting around and eating, but it's hard to blog from Mom & Dad's.  My plan for this post is to give a review of the various movies and shows I watched on my 5 days off, but first, can we talk about Amazon drones?!?!  Did you see this: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/12/02/248170316/drone-delivery-amazon-says-a-new-era-looms 
Crazy or brilliant?  Terrifying or inevitable?  Both?  Has Jeff Bezos kicked off an exciting Jetsons future, or are we just a few short years from Skynet.  I can't wrap my head around this yet. 

Back to Thanksgiving entertainment.

Wednesday was filled with TV catch-up.  Everything from Hart of Dixie to The Blacklist.  I'm still behind, but hopefully with the upcoming hiatuses I'll finally get on track.  Then the standard Thanksgiving activities: Wednesday night drinks during the poker party, Macy's day parade, football, setting up the table with the giant plywood, appetizers, cooking, trying to time all the dishes in 2 ovens, so much dessert that there was 1 pie/dessert per 2 people, subsequent food comas, and a kickass cousin slumber party.  Isn't that how everyone spends Thanksgiving?  

Then, Gaga & the Muppets.  Sarah stubbornly claims that this was great and she loved it, but I'm here to tell you, it was pretty disappointing.  Lady Gaga mostly sang songs from her new album, and her interactions with the Muppets were a little awkward.  She has a great voice, and the other parts with the Muppets that didn't have her (or even better, Muppets with Kristen Bell) were very entertaining, but overall it fell flat and was disappointing.  When the Muppets get a special, I have expectations.  This was like a promo for the new Lady Gaga album that also had Muppets.  If I find it in me to watch any of the Sound of Music Live this week (which I doubt will happen), we'll see which pains me more.  (Side note: Sound of Music Live with Lady Gaga I would totally watch.  Can you imagine the train wreck?)

So after that, we had nowhere to go but up.  Which was appropriate as the evening's entertainment choice was Catching Fire.  I can't really spoil it, because you've read the book, but I still don't want to give away their choices or anything.  I'll just say that it was brilliant.  Even better than the first one, and the new cast members were as well cast as everyone from the first film.  Woody Harrelson continues to be the perfect Haymitch, and Elizabeth Banks will break your heart.  Finnick is exactly how I pictured him, and Jena Malone's Joanna is spot on.  Jennifer Lawrence continues to be, well, perfect.
Also, Sarah sent me this link, good article:  http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/11/25/247146164/what-really-makes-katniss-stand-out-peeta-her-movie-girlfriend

So then Saturday, wait for it... Mom & I watched Pitch Perfect.  Did we tell you this already?  Dad went out for a bit and Sarah was seeing Catching Fire again, so instead of watching football, we looked for a movie to watch.  And after contemplating our options, we decided to go with Pitch Perfect, which I have seen several times and Mom was curious about.  And you know what, she liked it!  Because it is hilarious and cute.  After that it was back to football and more games of Catan than I can count.  So much Catan.  We did all pause for the end of the Auburn-Alabama game, because it was epic.

Then it was time for the Hobbit.  So, here's the thing about the Hobbit.  It's a great movie.  I really enjoyed it, and it is absolutely beautiful.  Like, breathtakingly beautiful scenery.  And Martin Freeman is perfectly delightful, and Ian McKellan is Gandalf, and the dwarves are great.  But it's almost 3 hours.  And it's one of 3 movies based on 1 book.  And it's a shorter book than the 3 Lord of the Rings books, which they made into a movie a piece.  It's way too long.  I mean 2 movies would have been crazy enough, but 3 is preposterous.  Is the second one going to be Bilbo and Smaug and the gold for 3 hours?  I really don't remember all of the plot details, but it's just too long.  That said, it's still beautiful and I may still want to see the next one in the theatre.  
We followed that with Skyfall, and I already gave you my review.  I wasn't in love with it.  I thought it was solid, but I enjoyed the first Daniel Craig Bond film much more.  Javier Bardem was super creepy though, extremely well done.  It's concerning how well he plays truly disturbing characters.

So finally, last night I was all ready to watch Once Upon a Time and Revenge, only to come to the end of Once Upon a Time and discover that Revenge was not on.  What was on was this stupid Hallmark Christmas movie about this grumpy man (Andy Garcia) who builds a ferris wheel in his backyard for his sweet dying wife (Mary Louise Parker).  And Mandy Moore is the hospice nurse.  And I should have turned it off, because I knew it was just going to lead to tears, but I didn't.  And I watched the whole thing AND all the sappy Hallmark commercials that aired during it.  You are not allowed to watch this ridiculous movie.  So many tears.

Something amazing happened at the end of HIMYM tonight.  I can't wait for you to watch this.  So funny.  They really have gotten into a beautiful groove.  I turned it on because the Hawks were up 34-7 and I figured I could take a little break.   Speaking of which, that was also the final score.  They were dominant tonight.  It was fantastic.

Sarah comes to a lake that has healing powers and hidden swords and the Loch Ness monster.  She pauses to contemplate taking her chances with Nessie in order to acquire a new sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment