Thursday, September 27, 2012

Kacey Watches Television Along Ways From Home...

I am in Abu Dhabi! Half way around the world from the Great Pacific Northwest of the USA. I have been teaching a classroom full of children for 3 weeks now in a well air conditioned classroom (because if it wasn’t I would melt into a puddle Wicked Witch of the West style).  I’ve been meeting people from all over the world (Lebanon, Ireland, Canada, South Africa, England, Australia, Egypt) and my kids all speak Arabic as a first language. I’m tired, but adjusting to the heat and a new education system.

Of course on of my top priorities once I got here was what to watch on television and how to do I get all my shows? There are plenty of huge movie theatres (even though the censorship is a little different here than in the states) so I’m not worried about seeing movies- but the TV line up here is a little…delayed to say the least. I have a TV in my room and without paying extra expenses I get about 27 channels- 7 of which are in English (most of the time). Much of what I have been watching is canceled television shows, newer shows about 2-3 seasons behind, and random movies.

Here’s a flavor of my viewing pleasure:

Canceled Shows Views:

Better Off Ted: Sitcom about an insensitive corporation that develops random products and the people who work there. Only 1 season I think.

Privileged: Drama about a tutor (played by the chick that was on Reba and played the girl next door on HIMYM) who works for spoiled twins and their grandmother and has like 3 men pursuing her. I don’t think there is even an entire season of this show.

The Defenders: Jerry O’Connell and Jim Belushi play defense lawyers in Las Vegas. Entertaining, but I like lawyer shows. Half season for this maybe?

Witched of Eastwick: I haven’t actually watched a full episodes of this, only caught parts of a few episodes. Not a fan and I can see why it didn’t last.

Shows currently airing in the States:

Rules of Engagement:  I think this show is still on in the states. Not a huge David Spade fan, but I am watching it more here than I did in the states and I am actually finding the rest of the cast quiet humorous.

Community: Did this make it? Is it still on? First time I’ve ever watched it and can see why people think it’s funny!

The Mentalist: I watched this on and off in the states and always enjoyed it, but I’m totally lost because I didn’t follow it enough to know what season is being played. Red John is maybe dead, but Jane knows he’s not…FBI thinks Jane is working with Red John…???

Pysch: Again- I only watched once and while in the states, but it makes me laugh.

Glee: I think this is about 2 seasons behind and I’ve actually only seen it on late at night and early in the morning (when I was still jet lagged).  But it’s a nice comfort of home.

30 Rock: Watching this more and more proves that I was not watching in enough at home…love Tina Fey.

Big Bang Theory: Never lost on this one, but the episodes are not new. However, BBT is on so much in the states that it feels like home to watch reruns.

2 Broke Girls: Only have seen one episode and it was the pilot. Guessing that it is just now starting.

Top Gear: This was one all the time on BBC America, but I never really got into it. It’s quiet international I guess.

The Exes: This is a new show right? Good cast, not sure if I like the concept. Only show that I’ve watched so far that is happening at the same time as in the states (perhaps not a good sign for the show?)

Lettermen: It’s become my “morning show” because it’s on in the morning right before I leave for school.

Shows that have ended (not cancelled):

The Closer: Can always watch repeats- and since I didn’t watch it much in the states most episodes are new to me!

Gilmore Girls: Seen most episodes…good repeat show.

Smallville, Jag, Medium: I never watched any of these shows, and if I watched them here I only get confused…might be into watching Smallville if I could from the beginning.

 
There are also lots of movies on…I actually have 2 movies channels…plus other channels show movies often.  Some I know well and others I had never even heard of. All in all keeps me entertained.

Sampling of Movie Titles:

Eagle Eye, The Interpreter, Harry Potter (4 and 6), Star Trek, Love Happened, Invincible, Die Hard 4, Aurora Borealis, Mummy (3rd one), Chronicles of Narnia (Prince Caspian), In the Name of the King, Ocean’s 12, 50 First  Dates, Titanic, Rambo, Beverly Hill Cop 1 and 2, Serenity, American Sweethearts, Run Away Bride, Changing Lanes, Kung Fu Hustle

I keep seeing advertisements for Revenge, maybe it will start showing from the beginning and then I can see what all the fuss is about. And NCIS is going to be on NEW (like brand new) soon!

 
That’s Abu Dhabi basic television in nutshell… there is probably more but I’d have to pay for that. I do have the internet...which helps. ;)

Coming Soon: Sarah writes a crash course in communicating when you don’t know the language and all you have is gestures. She will provide pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment