Sunday, September 23, 2012

Jamie Watches the Emmys

As you know, I love TV.  And so I must watch the Emmys.  And react and critique and cheer.  Here goes:


Opening – Jimmy was funny, solid.  Nothing flashy or particularly offensive, but I definitely laughed.


First up, the comedy awards,

Best Supporting Actor: Eric Stonestreet – While I was pulling for Max, I can’t complain about this Modern Family win, the show is hilarious.

Writing – Louie C.K., not a show I watch, but a very funny guy.

Kat Dennings may fall out of her dress, but she is so awesome that I won’t judge.

Best Supporting Actress: Julie Bowen – A little disappointed to be wrong here, but not truly surprised.  That said, she is a vital part of an extremely talented cast.

Matthew Perry announces guest actor/actress in a comedy which were already announced, and Perry explains he was hesitant to re-announce and then noted: “But then I remembered, I like attention” Winners: Kathy Bates & Jimmy Fallon.

Directing award to Steve Levitan – Modern Family

Modern Family with evil Lily is infinitely funnier than the Breaking Bad short.  That little girl is too funny.  Might even top the year when they did a Modern Family with Clooney sketch.

Lead Actor: (Melissa McCarthy’s commentary wins all the awards) – Jon Cryer – Shocking! And he is shocked.  Mostly that his show is even still on.  So no 3-peat for Sheldon.  Oh well.

Lead Actress: Julia Louie-Dreyfess.  Amy Poehler is robbed, but that is a stacked category.  Some day Amy, some day.  And the switching speeches bit, classy and classic.


No one cares about reality.  Football score? Patriots are winning.  Sure, this week we can score. 

Big Bang Theory Clip! Sheldon loves the accountants.  Obviously.  This is adorable.  Best intro of the vote counters ever.

Oh Seth MacFarland.  I am a little bit in love with you after your recent SNL gig.  Sorry you’re here for reality show host. 

At least reality was brief so we can move on to drama.


There is some amazing stuff on TV, as shown by this drama montage.  Top that Oscars.

Best Supporting Actor: Still missing John Noble here, but some amazing talent.  Aaron Paul of Breaking Bad takes the award and gets big hugs from his cast mates.  I really need to watch this show.

Writing – Homeland – Another show I need to watch.

Supporting Actress: Maggie Smith!  I finally got something right!  But she isn’t there.  But she is still awesome and so totally deserving of this award.


Commercial side note: scouring pictures online (because I missed the red carpet) and I am giving best dressed to Tina Fey (rocking the purple) and Jennifer Westfeldt, because if you walk the red carpet with Jon Hamm and I still notice how fabulous you look, you are clearly a fashion winner.


Guest actor/actress: Martha Plimpton & Jeremy Davies, announced by the very talented Giancarlo Esposito (whose name is almost as awesome as Benedict Cumberbatch).

Director: Boardwalk Empire guy, I missed his name.  Sorry!


Pretty sure Josh Groban is covering What Makes You Beautiful during an “in memoriam” tribute to Jimmy Kimmel. Yep, that just happened, complete with a Matt Damon reference. 


Best Actor: I think this is the hardest category of the night, with apologies to the comedy ladies.  And I’m right again!  Winner is Homeland’s Damien Lewis.  I really, really need to watch this show.  Also!  He is married to Narcissa Malfoy!  Awesome.

Best Actress: (Jon Hamm & Tina Fey are always funny together) Okay, this category is amazing too. Claire Danes wins!  Another point for me.


On to Variety, which is way better than Reality, cause Jon Stewart is in it.  And other people with actual talent and intelligence. 

Variety Special: Louie C.K. wins.  I’m sure it’s very funny, but I love the Tony’s.  But Louie now has bookends.


Commercial side note: Love the ad for the new abc Sunday night lineup.


Directing: The Emmy guy won.

Variety Series: The Daily Show.  Again.  Colbert & Jimmy Fallon are holding him down.  I love them all so much. But Jon, he is the best.  Oh, Jon. You can’t say that on TV.


Mini-series & TV Movies:  So, Missing was cancelled and thus it gets to be a mini-series?  I am super confused about this breakdown. 

Supporting Actress: Jessica Lange – No surprise here, although again, I haven’t watched American Horror Story. 

Supporting Actor: Tom Berenger, which makes me feel like Hatfields & McCoys might do well.  I do want to watch it, but my heart belongs to Martin Freeman in this category.


In Memoriam – And Ron Howard is going to talk about Andy Griffith. I’m going to try not to cry. From Andy to Dick Clark, a lot of legends lost this year. 


Writing: Okay, Jonathan from Buffy just won an Emmy for writing Game Change.  I mean, I am kind of upset that Moffat didn’t win, but I can’t complain with a win for Danny Strong.  He is awesome.

Lead Actress: Julianne Moore! I get another point.  I guess I need to see this. 

Directing: Jay Roach for Game Change – talks about how HBO rocks.

Lead Actor: I am so annoyed that Benedict Cumberbatch didn’t win.  Kevin Costner, really? First no win for Sheldon and now Benedict. I am going to have my own Emmys.


Commercial break reminds me that we all win because TV is back starting tomorrow!


Outstanding Mini-series or Movie: Sorry Hatfield & McCoys, politics takes the cake with a win for Game Change (I think just because everyone likes it when Tom Hanks gets to speak).  Also, I’m protesting the lack of Sherlock love.  Funny, despite all the British nominees, only Damien Lewis takes home an award.


The Big Two…

Drama: Homeland – Not surprising given the previous awards, but wow, that show must be unbelievable when you consider the level of competition.

Comedy: (Side note, seriously, who doesn’t love Michael J. Fox?) Modern Family.  Absolutely no surprise.  Well, at least you win at ratings my favorite nerds. 

Best moments: Melissa McCarthy expressing her appreciation for the male comedy nominees, Modern Family evil Lily sketch, Amy Poehler & Julia Louie-Dreyfess “accidentally” switch acceptance speeches, Jon Stewart being tackled by Jimmy Fallon and Steven Colbert.  Basically, comedy wins.  

Books read: 34 (slowly significantly...)

Coming Soon: Sarah writes an angry letter to the Emmy voters about Sherlock, extolling the many talents of Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.    

No comments:

Post a Comment