Saturday, June 2, 2012

Jamie's Fave Five for May

May was officially our month with the most posts ever.  Yay!  Not too bad, huh? I know what you’re thinking, Jamie, you completely dominated the posting in May.  What happened?  I don’t know.  And I really hate to get your expectations up like that and then have to deliver again.  But I’m confident we can at least get close.  Kacey is almost done with school, which should free up a little time for her (well, when she’s not busy applying for jobs), and we all know Sarah has a pile of posts that she’s working on.  And I have some ideas.  Stay tuned.

But since another month has gone by I’m going to try and stick with this whole fave five thing.  Two months makes it a thing, right? So here’s what I was loving in May.

1) Joss Whedon’s letter to his fans - This month was all about the Avengers (I’ve only seen it twice, so far...) and the rest of the world realizing what all of us Whedonphiles have known for years, Joss is a genius.  Or, to use the popular (although admittedly cheesy) rhyme, Joss is Boss.  But in case you were concerned that it was going to his head that he has what is destined to be in the top 10 (5? 3?) all time grossing films, never fear.  Joss posted this lovely letter to those who have loved him the longest on Wedonesque, a very popular fansite.  
2) Doctor Who Tumblrs - Originally this was going to be a specific image (an Avengers/Doctor Who mashup, involving a mischievous look from Matt Smith’s Doctor beneath a picture of Samuel L Jackson’s Nick Fury assembling his team), but I can’t find it.  And when I was trying to find it, on tumblr, I instead came across a plethora of awesome images on tumblr and so many amazing Doctor Who images.  Many of which I was previously missing out on (since I was not caught up and did not want to stumble upon any spoilers).  There are quite a few, but I’m partial to the official one, seen here.  
3) tvbythenumbers - I was checking this site compulsively as the various seasons winded down and the major networks announced cancellations and new lineups for the fall.  They tracked (well they track) ratings and made predictions on what shows would survive the year.   Like Nate Silver for TV.  Okay, maybe not that good, but until Nate adds TV ratings to his repertoire, tvbythenumbers is a more than adequate substitute. While I have many issues with the ratings system that networks are ruled by, my favorite shows (well, and every other show) live and die by it, so I figure it is good to pay attention.  This year was mostly kind to me, with Fringe getting a 13 episode final season (instead of cancellation) & a second season of Hart of Dixie.  However it was less kind of my dad, who saw Alcatraz, A Gifted Man, & Missing cancelled.  Sorry Dad!
4) Book Club Question List - I had to send this out to my book club.  While not all are completely accurate, there are definitely more than a few that are ‘so us’, and those that aren’t crack me up anyhow. Like the obvious “is there more wine?”  Although we don’t typically ask that, because we’re generally never short on wine, the question is just can you please pour me some more wine.
5) The Opposite of Loneliness - This is simultaneously uplifting and devastating.  This was written just before a young Yale graduate was killed in a car accident.  Tragically this is making the rounds because of her untimely death.  It is an excellent read, and not just for her fellow 22 year olds whom she is addressing, but for the rest of us.

Books read: 29

Coming Soon: Sarah writes an open letter to the Mariners, pleading with them to spread their offense over more games in hopes of trying to win more often.  31 runs over 2 games is awesome, but being swept by the Angels at home is an embarrassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment