Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Jamie & the Doctor

*I just met you, this is crazy* Oh, hi. Sorry, I was just listening to Call Me Maybe. It's just so catchy, and then Kacey put it on her mix, and, I couldn't help it. Did you notice her little dig at me in there about not knowing songs unless they are on Glee? I did. There is nothing wrong with that. It happens because I don't listen to pop radio. I listen to NPR, like a proper liberal Seattleite. I also learn new pop songs via Internet parodies. I still prefer the California Dorks lyrics to the California Girls lyrics. But I'm getting way off topic. I came on here to say that I am super excited Kacey posted 2 days in a row and to put my little love letter to Doctor Who on here. I wrote this a little after finishing series 6 (okay, I think I wrote it last month) and now that we are mere months from the premiere of series 7, I guess now know is as good a time as any to share…



It was inevitable really. That I would love the Doctor. As you are slowly but surely pulled deeper into the world of awesome nerdy pop culture, he is unavoidable. You can't go to any kind of convention without coming across him in some form. It might be the scarf. That ridiculously long multi-colored scarf that is an international sign of a Who fan. The scarf is easy though, for the more committed it's brown pinstripes and Chuck Taylor's, quite possibly the hottest outfit you can find at any nerd gathering. It's basically the male equivalent of the Princess Leia gold bikini. And then came the bow ties. There was some hesitation to embrace them, but we know it's true, bow ties are cool.

And it wasn't just strangers. My friends were slipping it into conversations. Hillary was the most adamant, of course. She told me I needed to watch Doctor Who. It was too fabulous. They even had a marathon one day, but I couldn't make it. Jeff was a little more subtle, saying he thought I would enjoy it, given my increasing appreciation for Sci fi TV and such. Even a couple others turned out to be Whovians, although they are all about the classic Who and I don't think they have yet to watch any of the reboot.

When I started (with the reboot, forgive my lack of scarf-era episode. viewing), I wasn't sure. Nine is no one's favorite, but I think that is because he quit after 1 season. He was definitely starting to grow on me. Of course it could have been the appearance of Captain Jack that helped keep my interest. I would watch John Barrowman read the phone book, so long as he did it with that Captain Jack smirk. But as soon as David Tennant came along, saving the world and accidentally quoting Lion King lyrics, I knew I was hooked.

Of course, I still had some concerns. When Rose left, I had to take a break. I wasn't ready for a new companion any more than the Doctor. But they knew that, and eased us into accepting Martha. Each companion has managed to have a different relationship with the Doctor that fits with their character and respects those that came before. But the companion shifts were nothing compared to my concerns about changing Doctors. Even though it went very well for me the first time, I was now attached. David Tennant is, to use Who fan jargon, "my doctor." Much like he is for many of my generation. Who was this funny bow tie wearing man that was coming to take his place? Thanks to his (Matt Smith) immense talents and the brilliance that is Steven Moffat, I didn't have to stress long. I loved him at fish fingers and custard, right along with Amelia Pond.

With every change, I just keep loving it. There are, of course, elements of the ridiculous. But that's what keeps it fun. I will watch just about any type of show if I like the characters. Plot, that's important too, but more important is how it shapes my beloved characters. I will watch them fight evil, solve equations, or mock each other endlessly. It really doesn't matter.

And the Doctor and his companions always keep my attention. Wherever they go across time and space, whether they are battling angels or daleks, I just want to see more.


Books read: 31 (on to the 3rd book in the Song of Fire & Ice, which is long, but I am hooked)


Coming Soon: Sarah posts a Doctor Who inspired parody of Call Me Maybe. "I just met you, and this is crazy, but trust me won't you, cause I'm the Doctor" It needs work.

No comments:

Post a Comment