Tuesday, February 11, 2014

It's your birthday! JE

Happy Birthday!  Okay, it's not technically your birthday yet at my house.  But it is well into your birthday at your house, so I feel it is appropriate to say woohoo, yay, and ready or not, you have entered your final year as a twenty-something.  Don't worry, I've been at this thirty-something thing for a while and you have nothing to fear.  

I am SO glad that you have finished Supernatural season 5.  I won't tell you how far I have gotten into season 6 because it's your birthday, but since season 5 is behind us and it is (so far) my favorite, I wanted to give it some time.  Because of it being my favorite. Like if I had known that I was going to like it this much when I was starting season 1, I would be finished now. First of all, as we have discussed, there is Cas.  How can you not love this guy?  From his normal, awkward, angel who can't help but kinda love the humans self to future Cas in his hippie free love drug phase.  How amazing was that?  And I love that Sam & Dean had to communicate with him over the phone after he hid them from the angels.  So funny.  I was also a big fan of the twist with the trickster being the angel Gabriel.  I liked the episodes with him in general because they were such a good balance of humor (when they were the CSI guys I was in hysterics) and real, serious danger due and lack of control, and then the added element that he was an angel was very well done.  And because because every show needs a bad guy that you love to hate and hate to love, we get Crowley.  I have never seen Mark Sheppard in a role that he does not just knock out of the park.  Romo on Battlestar, Badger on Firefly, Canton on Doctor Who, the director of the Ring on Chuck, Valda on Warehouse, etc.  Elated to hear him talk about all these things at Emerald City Comicon.  And I would be remiss not to mention how much I loved the appearance of Ash in heaven.  Because his take on heaven was so perfectly in character, up to and including the fact that he had hacked the system.  This season gave us so much in the field of old character development and new characters.  Including our main duo and Bobby, who would could be my favorite.  However I think my real favorite is Chuck the prophet.  First of all, I am a total sucker for all things meta, so the whole thing where there are books about their lives that have a obsessive fandom is brilliant.  Then fitting it into the whole angel storyline and having him be a prophet was perfect.  Plus he was completely endearing.  Per usual, my love of a show is completely character driven.  I mean, I like this storyline this season.  I think I was drawn to it because it was a different kind of apocalypse than anything on Buffy, which steered clear of the traditional biblical world end and stayed in its own world with all things hellmouth.  But angels and demons and Lucifer, plus the four horseman (Death was great, terrifying, but then he also likes a good meal.  Even though rational and chained to Lucifer, he is still formidable and demanding of the respect that comes with his roll.  Definitely the best horseman), that is just all kinds of crazy fun.  I do worry about getting too attached though, as they clearly have no trouble killing people off.  I mean, it's no Game of Thrones, but certainly on par with a Whedon show.  

I also just caught up on Teen Wolf from last night.  Um, holy, all the things batman.  I don't even know what to do with this season, but I love it.  Although I am terrified.  But they won't kill off _____ (name redacted to prevent spoilers), will they?  When you get caught up, I'm going to need you to reassure me that there is no way they would kill ______.  You'll know.

Oscar news!  Idina Menzel is going to perform Let it Go from Frozen!  So exciting.  Which means I really need to see that movie.  Also, I don't know if you saw the video clip I reblogged on tumblr the other day of Anthony Rapp singing a song from the new musical If/Then, but I cannot wait to see clips of that at the Tonys.  It comes out in March, so I assume that is plenty of time?  And if not, then definitely next year. Because it is written by the guys who did Next to Normal (which is amazing) and stars Rapp and Menzel.  A-freaking-mazing.  I don't even care what it's about, I just want the soundtrack.  And the ability to apparate to NYC and obtain tickets for opening night.  

I haven't watched a ton of the Olympics.  But I did see that adorable boy from Canada win the gold in that skiing competition I don't understand.  But he won it in Vancouver (and was the first Canadian to win a gold at home), and this was a repeat victory.  They ski down a hill with lots of little bumps, very quickly, and there are two jumps where they do a flip in the air and try to be kind of fancy, but the speed matters too.  And of course, not falling is important.  Anyhow, I saw that, and he was adorable again.  I also watched a little of the team figure skating.  The Russians were obliterating everyone.  There was a tiny Russian girl whose free skate was brilliant, Tara Lipinski & Johnny Weir are doing the commentary and they were gushing over this performance, and also throwing in a bit of a "I have thought she was the dark horse to win this for months."  Yeah, yeah, you're smart, but see no one else was watching this months ago, no one cared then. And apparently Shaun White did not win a medal today.  Did he cut his hair before the last Olympics?  If not, then my theory is that all his power was clearly in his hair and the haircut took it all away.

Okay, well, I think that's about all I've got for now.  Hope that your birthday is spectacular!!  

After her impressive, buzzfeed influenced efforts creating your birthday message, she has returned to marathoning West Wing and counting the days until her new job.  But there are sure to be more magical adventures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment