Friday, August 3, 2012

Jamie's Fave Five for July (a couple days late)


Well hello! I have been watching the newly released trailer for Doctor Who series 7, on repeat and then laughing at how it has already taken over my tumblr feed. It's got Amy and Rory and River and Daleks and Weeping Angels and dinosaurs on a spaceship and wizards (when I say wizards, I mean people who were on Harry Potter), and the Doctor, of course, because it is his show. I'm getting off track, this isn't even what I am planning to write about, but did I mention dinosaurs on a spaceship??!? I think we all know what is going at the top of the list of the August fave five. But it's not time for that yet, so back to the topic at hand. Without further dinosaur delay, my fave five for July:


1) Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Same Love - Oh, these boys. First they do a song about Dave Neihaus that makes me tear up (that’s a lie, it makes me sob), and now they have this beautiful song in support of equal marriage. And in case that isn't enough, the proceeds from the song are going to support Yes on R-74. We're gonna win this one in November and it's gonna be totally awesome.

2) Written by a Kid - The newest Geek & Sundry (reminder: Geek & Sundry is Felicia Day's YouTube channel where they also have things like the Flog, which is where my inspiration for doing a fave five came from) is absolutely adorable. Each week a cute little kid tells a story and as they are telling it, guest directors create/animate/act out the story. Simple and so much fun.  Also, Joss Whedon was in the first one. 

3)  Comicon coverage – So I didn’t go to Comicon.  Obviously, or there would have been an epic post.  So I had to live vicariously through those on Twitter and Hypable and various other websites who were able to go and attend the Firefly reunion panel (sigh) and the Doctor Who panel (sigh again) and the Nerdist panel with John Barrowman when he showed the audience his superhero underwear (sigh doesn't cover it).  Let’s pause to appreciate that for a moment.  Okay, now that we’re all on the topic of John Barrowman (the one and only Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who & Torchwood), his Twitter feed is my other new favorite thing.  Periodically he will post a link to a live video feed from his phone.  It’s pretty much always adorable whether he’s talking Comicon or the Olympics. 

4)  A Very Potter Senior Year – Okay, so this isn't exactly on the internet yet, but it was announced that the much anticipated (at least by the Harry Potter loving internet nerd community of awesome) third Harry Potter musical from the very talented TeamStarkid would be “performed” at this year’s Leaky Con (a Harry Potter and general fandom convention).  I use quotes because technically they are doing a table reading of the script, but complete with songs and given the comedic talents of these folks, I’m sure some crazy antics.  Whatever it ends up being, I am sure it will not fail to entertain and those of us not attending this convention will just wallow in our envy, hoping that someday it is released onto the internet.  Can you wallow in envy?  Is that a thing? Oh well.

5) The Oatmeal - Specifically on how to suck at your religion.  I mean, the Oatmeal is full of fantastically awesome things, but someone linked to this specific little gem and I found it to be pretty awesome. 


Books read: 33 (Having trouble deciding what to read next, but while I’m waiting for my library books to come in, I think I’ll go with more Game of Thrones before finishing up Libba Bray’s Gemma Doyle trilogy)

Coming Soon: Sarah suggests what superhero underwear might be appropriate for the cast of Dawson’s Creek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment