Thursday, August 9, 2012

Glossary Part 3... (by Kacey)

Glossary Part 3! Second post in August! Still no job! Woo!

Here we go..

“Does the term cruel and unusual punishment mean anything to you?” Source: Remember the Titans. The dashing Ryan Gosling, who at the time this film was made was still emerging from his Disney boyish ways, really wants his large, defensive lineman, African-American team member to like the song “Act Naturally” by Buck Owens. This is the response he receives. One uses the statement whenever something is difficult to sit through.

“Bow ties are cool.” Source: The Doctor, and if you have to ask which doctor then you are new. One can also refer to fezzes, as they are also cool. Actually this is best used when someone doesn’t like what you are wearing; just say it is cool, thus making it cool. (Like bows Jamie, bows are cool)

“I totally paused.” Source: Clueless. Jamie and I can actually pretty much quote this whole movie as we have watched it many times. And it made reading Jane Austen’s Emma much more interesting. I often use this when I come to a stop sign and may not come to a full stop. Jamie doesn’t say this as often.

“Exceptionally good finder.” Source: A Very Potter Musical. Okay so confession time. I have actually only watched about ¾ of the first A Very Potter Musical, which in the nerd world is a little sacrilege. However, I know enough to know this is a reference to Hufflepuffs and how they good at finding things (the joke being that is all they are really good for). But since being placed in Hufflepuff on Pottermore I feel my finding skills have greatly increased.

 “Wine and Beer!” Source: RENT, via the song La Vie Boheme. This needs little explanation to when its use is appropriate since people who have never have seen RENT will say “wine and beer,” but said in a chant form is often more appropriate.

“Gobla, Gobla, Humngo!” Source: A Muppet Family Christmas. I’m not even sure if that is spelled correctly…my Swedish Chef isn’t totally fluent. This phrase is said when the Swedish Chef reacts to the size of Big Bird. This phrase usually comes out at Thanksgiving and is used in reference to the size of the turkey… and is not said exclusively by Jamie and myself.

“Challenge accepted!” Source: How I Met Your Mother. Another Barneyism. Often used when no one has actually challenged him to do anything. The phrase is best used when you feel up to a challenge… but it is not necessary for someone say “I challenge you to…”. It’s really more of personal challenge mantra.

 “90%” Source: I can’t remember where this came from, but it is made in reference to cows. Actually usually starts when Jamie and I are driving around and we pass by a field with cows. I start by saying… “Hey Jamie did you know that 90%...” I usually don’t have to finish before Jamie rolls her eyes. It’s from my favorite joke that states “Did you know that 90% percent of all cow are outstanding in their field.” Now all one of us has to say is “90%” whenever cows are discussed.

Coming Soon: After watching Dawson's Creek for two days straight Sarah writes a letter to Joey Potter warning her to stay away from Scientology.

1 comment:

  1. Bows are not cool. Sometimes I want to go all River Song on the bows. You know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete