Thursday, March 13, 2014

Late Birthday Post and Animated Movies ...KE

Ah! 11 days have come and gone since your post and I have been slackin’.  Especially since during those 11 day it was your birthday!!!!!!
And when we spoke on your birthday (with Sarah) you were preparing for quite the day… part of it included finally watching Frozen (Sarah’s fifth time watching I believe). Please tell me you loved it… because I loved it.

Actually when I was thinking about how much I liked it, I was trying to think about why I like it. What makes a good animated movies?
Oh course I came up with some thoughts…..

Sassy, strong female lead...and this isn’t a new idea. Even when they are princesses they aren’t just damsels in distress. Well some of them are… but most of them aren’t- Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Ariel (Little Mermaid), Tiana (The Princess and the Frog), Anya (Anastasia), Merida (Brave), Jasmine (Aladdin). I could go on, but you get the idea. All these female characters are strong, independent and don't just stand by helplessly. 

Excellent music. Do I really need to elaborate? Even if the characters don’t sing, the music should be there.  (Toy Story)

Bright and shiny. The visuals themselves need to be good quality. Even the classic animation like Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King have the excellent scenery and details. But these days animators really have to bring their game with all new advances in technology.

A story that is about more than just a romance. I always appreciate the classics like Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. But what I really want are movies about more than just getting rescued.  They’re about acceptance, friendship, non-traditional families, standing up for what is right… you get the idea. Things that appeal to my bleeding, liberal, feminist heart.

An excellent supporting cast- mainly the goofy sidekick. Think about Nemo… if the movie was just about Nemo and his dad… major yawn.  Throw in Dory, a cast of fish tank friends, some friendly sharks, and some sea turtles and bam! You’ve got an awesome, entertaining ,fun for the whole family movie.  I mean where would good animated movies be without the comedy relief. They would pretty dark and sad.

Okay, these things seem like “no brainers”… but I know some animated movies that fall short. Maybe the comedy relief tried to hard or wasn’t funny enough… the animation wasn’t all that impressive… the female lead wasn’t that impressive... or the story was lame. Usually this is in the case of sequels that are trying too hard. But anyways Frozen had all these things and more. Totally a major winner.

Also just to recap on some TV watching these past few weeks- Teen Wolf…..Holy f@%K! This show just gets crazier and crazier. I mean…now there are 2 Stiles? What?!
One behind on Shield- but that is cookin’ up too. But sometimes I just hold my breath because it is Joss and you never know who is going to die.
Finally catching up on Supernatural… one episode into season 7 and I needed to google the “Leviathan” which apparently is most commonly a sea creature term… but it of course is up for interpretation as are most things mentioned in the Bible.

That’s all my thoughts for now… trying to have a quiet weekend in… which means TV catch up! (Maybe out to see a movie too)


Sarah has begun a new quest… to build an ice castle... included with a talking snowman that doesn't melt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment