Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kacey Talks Funny Females...

Women are funny dammit...

And I do have a plethora of examples to share...Driving from Seattle to Bellingham Jamie and I started making a list of women who we think are absolutely hysterical. I had this idea that I would discuss the significance of these funny females… but the truth is the list got out of control.

The more names I wanted to add the more I realized I can’t just name a few and expect to cover it. Instead I stopped adding and decided to post the list I (or rather we) had come up and break it up into categories of sorts… There are women who led the way, currently continuing to open people’s hearts and minds, up and coming and cracking me up online.

Conclusion: fabulous funny females are everywhere.

Trail Blazers:
Carol Burnett
Madeline Kahn
Lucille Ball
Betty White
Whoopi Goldberg
Penny Marshall
Phylicia Rashad

Following the Trail:
Amy Poehler
Tina Fey
Alyson Hannigan
Zoey Deschanel
Ellen
Megan Mullally
Jane Lynch
Jennifer Coolidge
Kristen Chenoweth
Margaret Cho
Allison Channey
Wanda Sykes
Emily Blunt
Christine Baranski

Currently Breaking Through:
Kat Dennings
Melissa McCarthy
Emma Stone
Catherine Tate
Lizzy Caplan

Appearing in Groups:
(women in ensembles on television)
Golden Girls
The Big Bang Theory
The Office
Saturday Night Live
Designing Women

Of the Online Fun:
Jessie Cave
Maureen Johnson
The Bloggess (Jenny Lawson)
Felicia Day


What I love about these funny females is that they not only funny because of what they say but they are not afraid to be goofy, able to laugh at themselves, are at times indecent, always intelligent, and worthy of my total admiration.

And if you don’t know who all these women are- I suggest you look it up.

**The only embarrassing part of this is list is the lack of names in literature. While Maureen Johnson and the The Bloggess are published authors, I am most familiar with their tweetings and blogs as a source of amusement. However, I know there are many funny female authors out there and in doing some research I can direct you to some articles I found with names and titles I was sort of familiar with:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2008/oct/29/funny-books-women-writers
http://flavorwire.com/104195/required-reading-10-women-writers-we-love
http://jezebel.com/5050694/new-york-times-hard+pressed-to-name-funniest-female-novelists

I will have to consult with my resident book expect- Librarian Jenna- to get a more educated opinion.

Coming soon: Sarah analyzes the women in works of Shakespeare and compares them to the Doctor's companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment