Monday, December 12, 2011

Jamie's Fall 2011 TV Review

As shows wrap up for a brief (or in some cases long) hiatus over the holidays, I am offering up my two cents (or a little more) on how my favorite shows, old and new, started off their 2011-12 seasons:

1) The Big Bang Theory - The word for the season is consistency.  In its fifth season, this show continues to be laugh out loud funny week in and week out.  Highlight: Yet another brilliant performance by Laurie Metcalf as Sheldon’s God-fearing mother in what has got to be one of my all time favorite episodes.  The scene in the church where they each talk to God was one of the best ever.



2) How I Met Your Mother - We’re getting a little real over at HIMYM.  Last year it was Marshall losing his dad and Barney meeting his, and this year it’s all about Robin & Barney as they deal with all kinds of issues, both individually and together.  Thankfully this show keeps us laughing between the occasional tearjerkers. Highlight: The most recent episode where Robin talks to her fictional children.  I thought it was incredibly well written with a great performance by Cobie Smulders.  Also, there was an ACDC light situation.  Epic.

3) Parks & Recreation - I wrote about my undying love for this show in my last post, so I will say that while I continue to love it, love Leslie & Ben, think it was wise to give them a little relationship obstacle, I’m hoping to move beyond the episodes centered around their relationship.  Hoping that the conflicts in the rest of the season come from outside of their relationship (and I think it will in the form of this city council race).  Highlight: I loved (tears!) her team stepping up to run her campaign in the Christmas episode.  Ben showed his support in the prior episode, so it made perfect sense to have this be about her Parks & Rec team (plus her BFF Ann, of course) giving her the best gift ever.  

4) NCIS - This show is always great, but I will say I miss having that season-long story happening.  I am sure that the stuff from the premiere with Scott Wolf’s character will come back around and so I am anticipating an exciting second half for this show.  Also, I think we could use a little more Abby, but really, who doesn’t think that. Highlight: I think that Dinozzo has been very solid this season.  And I love the addition of Jaime Ray Newman. I hope she sticks around.

5) Castle - Continues to be the show that I wish was on 7, or maybe even 8 days a week.  If they wanted to make that many episodes, I would watch them.  All.  Okay, maybe that’s a little excessive. (but it's not)  Highlight: Beckett.  Her falling apart in the episode with the sniper shootings was fantastic, I mean, the performance, it's not great that Beckett is dealing with this, but it's so good... you know what I mean.  Stana Katic’s performance was riveting in the best episode of the season.

6) Hawaii 5-0 - Who knew, when we first saw the commercials last season that I would continue to tune in weekly for more than just Alex O’Loughlin’s shirtless moments?  Definitely not me, but this show continues to impress with intriguing storylines plus excellent casting additions - making Masi Oka a regular cast member was brilliant.   Highlight: The best bromance on television, Steve & Danny.

7) Glee - I’m totally jumping on the bandwagon of saying “Glee is back”!  Not that I think it really went anywhere, but the first half of season 2 was certainly a little shaky and only with the focus on Kurt and the bullying, plus the addition of the adorable and multi-talented Blaine, did it really come around last year (specifically the Furt episode, which makes me cry, and Darren Criss’ Glee debut singing Teenage Dream, which is far higher on my iPod alltime played list than I care to admit).  While some episodes have been stronger than others this season, I think the whole thing just feels more coherent (thank you Marti Noxon perhaps?).  Highlight: Mike Chang - Not only can that boy dance, but the storyline with his parents is incredibly touching.

8) Bones - It’s been brief, but it’s great to see the team at the Smithsonian back solving murders, and I think they have handled their two leads suddenly being very much together and pregnant very well.  Looking forward to the next step, Booth & Bones with a baby.  One question: What happened to Parker?  Will we see him when the baby is born? Booth does remember that he already has a kid, right? Highlight: New intern Finn.  A great addition to the rotating cast of interns, which I think was a great choice for this show post-Zach.

9) New Shows - The New Girl, Once Upon a Time, Hart of Dixie, & Two Broke Girls
    The New Girl - Can’t stop laughing. Highlight: Any time the boys step it up to support Jess
    Once Upon a Time - Totally hooked. Highlight: Getting a new piece to the puzzle each week.
    Hart of Dixie - Stop judging me, I love this show. Highlight: Lavon’s pet alligator, Burt Reynolds.     Also, Wade.
    Two Broke Girls - I just hope that isn’t the last we see of Chestnut. Highlight: Why is Kat Dennings only just getting her own show? She is one of the funninest people on TV, and absolutely the reason I watch this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment