Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Jamie talks Christmas on TV

I’m not talking about the annual airings of It’s a Wonderful Life and A Charlie Brown Christmas.  Those are very important, but that’s not what this post is about.  Instead, it’s about how some of my favorite TV shows have celebrated the holidays in the past, let’s say 15 or so years.  Here are some of my favorites:
That 70s Show – Whether they are stealing toys meant for poor children or putting on a pageant, there is a never a dull moment for Eric Foreman and friends when the holidays come around.  I would argue that the holiday episodes are among the best for this sitcom.
The O.C. – Love it, hate it, or roll your eyes, how can you not love Seth Cohen’s enthusiastic celebration of Chrismukkuh?  Seriously, try and watch the Chrismukkuh episodes of this ridiculous (but lovable) show without falling in love with Seth Cohen.
The West Wing – While the show always seemed to get into the spirit of the holidays, the best by far is "In Excelsis Deo."  You’re laughing, then you’re crying, and when it's all over you feel like you’ve been a part of something truly special.
Friends – Do I really need to say more than the Holiday Armadillo?
The Big Bang Theory – Christmases come and Christmases go, but only on "The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis" do we see a truly overwhelmed Sheldon carry multiple bath gift baskets from his room for Penny, only to ultimately realize that the only thing he can do to show his appreciation for her epic gift, is hug her.
How I Met Your Mother – While “How Lily Stole Christmas” is certainly a favorite, I have to say that I was incredibly impressed with this year’s Robin-centric Christmas episode.  Not only for the emotional performance from Cobie Smulders, but for including an ACDC light show in the apartment.  Come on, ACDC light show equals instant classic.
Glee – Obviously, there is singing.  Christmas singing. So that's awesome. But nothing tops the gang’s efforts to help Artie walk just a little, not so much for Artie, but so that Brittany will continue to believe in Santa.  It’s cool Brittany, I believe too.
Doctor Who – I’m talking "The Christmas Invasion," the first full episode with 10th Doctor David Tennant.  The Doctor accidentally starting to quote the Lion King is pretty quality.  Also Christmas, aliens, good times.  I'm sure there are others, but I've only watched a few Doctor Who seasons, so this is the one that I love.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer – I just watched the Christmas episode from season 3, "Amends," the other day, and I must say it is a wonderful episode.  A little intense with our first introduction to The First, but then there is snow!  In southern California.    
My So-Called Life – Let’s call it saving the best for last. In the most touching episode of the short lived series, we see Angela helping a homeless Rickie on Christmas with the help of a homeless girl (or angel?) played by Julianna Hatfield.
I'm sure I've missed some classics (and new classics)... what else do you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment