Friday, June 7, 2013

The Men Kacey Trusts Completely...

I considered myself a feminist. I can’t wait for the day a female becomes president… I think Hilary Clinton is awesome, not a bitch… I don’t like it when men feel the need to explain sports to me… and I get annoyed when female leads are helpless and need to be saved by a man.

That being said… something has recently occurred to me.

My television viewing right now consist of finishing Battlestar Galatica (I’m about half a season away from completion) and catching up on the latest season of NCIS. Both shows have one major thing in common: a male lead that no matter what my real life views of old white guys in power are; I feel these men always know what the right thing to do is and I would follow them no matter what. I actually find myself getting really pissed off when people on these shows question these men. And the more I have thought about this, the more I realized there are several men in my fictional life that I just trust completely.

And upon reflection of these men, I think perhaps the best thing about all these men is that despite their old school ways they have the highest respect for strong woman and treat them as equals.

So here are the men I am compelled to follow:

Gibbs (NCIS): I trust his “gut” completely and pity any person who doesn’t. I mean, when does it ever steer him wrong? Plus he’s got rules he follows. He also know the Ziva is the scariest on his on his team and Abby is his favorite.

Admiral Adama a.k.a. “The Old Man” (Battlestar Galatica):   While The Old Man may have some old school military ideas about things, he always does what is best for the fleet and the people who rebel are stupid. He’s always protected the fleet. He always knows that Starbuck is one of the smartest pilots on the Battlestar and despite his early differences with the President, he ultimately recognized the fleet needs for her leadership.

Dumbledore (Harry Potter): Despite the things Dumbledore kept from Harry over the year, he knew the right thing to do. Everything he did, he did to protect people. We were all Dumbledore’s followers through and through, no matter what we discovered about him. He also always trusted Professor McGonagall with running of Hogwarts and he never doubted thatHermione was the brightest witch of her age.

The Doctor (Doctor Who): This needs little explanation. I mean, who doesn’t immediately trust The Doctor. And he would NEVER doubt the power and ability of a woman… actually I think it’s some men he questions.

Gandalf (Lord of the Rings):  Gandalf always sees the full potential of people. He always knows just what to do, but never actually seeks power for himself. And even though there aren’t many strong female leads in LOR, his faith in the hobbits shows that he doesn’t underestimate the heart and strength of all beings.

Captain Kirk (Star Trek): I am not really a “Trekky,” and have only watched a few old movies, but I recently become a huge fan with the latest movie reboot.  Now granted, Chris Pine as Captain Kirk is not hard on the eyes and he might be a bit arrogant and impulsive, but he does what he thinks is right. And he leaves no person behind… even if it is illogical as Spock often points out. Plus he knows not to mess with Lt. Uhura.

Captain Mal (Firefly/Serenity): I think Captain Mal’s loyalty to his crew is unmatched. Although he has thief like ways, he ultimately always does the right thing. And despite his crude words to Inara, he knows she is much more intelligent than he is and he hired Kaylee as his mechanic because he immediately recognized her skills far surpassed the idiot he originally was going to hire.  

Honorable Mention:
Giles (Buffy the Vampire Slayer): Okay, so ultimately I trusted Buffy to save to world every time and she really was the leader… and I got REALLY mad whenever people didn’t recognize that.  But in my opinion this made Giles all that cooler because he knew that too. What’s better than a guy that helps his daughter-like figure reach her full potential as a bad-ass, world-saving leader. Plus I always felt a bit better when Giles was around to answer questions and act as guidance.  

Coming Soon: After relocating to Portland, OR, Sarah recounts the exciting, yet frightening experience of getting lost in Powell's Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment