Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jamie Reads 50 Books

I recognize that most of the time on here I post about TV.  That’s because I unapologetically, and occasionally quite defensively, like TV. However, it isn’t the only form of entertainment that I enjoy.  I try to see all the Oscar nominees before the Oscars (which will be a bit of a challenge this year as I am quite behind, at least based on the Golden Globe nominations).  I have season tickets to the 5th Avenue Theatre.  I watch a whole lot of baseball, a fair amount of football, and as much of the NCAA basketball tournament as I can fit into my life (I mean, I do have a job).  And I read.  Not as many books as your friendly neighborhood librarian might read, but last year it was around 40 books.  Per my shelfari account it was actually 50, but that included some comics (like all of Buffy Season 8 and a few of the Walking Dead volumes), which I count as reading, but not as a whole book.  I mean, maybe all the volumes together could be a book, but anyhow I still read quite a few books last year,  I am stepping it up this year and my goal this year is to read 50 books.  That’s just over 4 a month, and I think I can do it.  I’m 18 days in and I’ve read 4 already, and have started the 5th.  Here are my quick, not at all spoilery reviews of the first three:

Game of Thrones – George R.R. Martin
Wow is there a lot of death in this book.  I mean, I was prepared for it, in fact so prepared that I think I expected even more characters to die than did, but even so it seemed like people were dropping off, violently, constantly.  That said, it’s a great story with fascinating characters and I cannot wait to see where the story goes.  Also, for how long it is, it moves quickly and is not at all difficult to read/get into.  I was instantly engaged.

The Maze Runner – James Dashner
Finished the Hunger Games and the Uglies and looking for your next dystopian future young adult series?  Here it is.  The Maze Runner starts with our protagonist, Thomas, waking up in the Glade, unable to remember anything.  There is a group of boys already there and they seem to have a little bit of an idea of what is going on, but like Thomas, have no idea where they came from, or where they really are.  I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough to find out what was happening as Thomas got more pieces to the puzzle.  And now, of course, I have to get the sequel.

The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
And now for something without a sequel! Of course, the trade off for this beautiful story is tears, and more tears, and a deep emotional reaction that will have you thinking about why it affected you so much for days.  I haven’t cried this much since Deathly Hallows, and I had much more time to get attached to that story.  I also laughed, out loud, a lot. That said, it’s amazing and you need to go to your local bookstore and pick up a signed copy today (John Green signed the first 150,000 copies, you really should go buy it). 

Franny & Zooey - J.D. Salinger
This was… alright.  It’s certainly no Catcher in the Rye, which I love.  It’s not too long, but I got stuck and put it down with about 60 pages left to go, read the three books listed above, and then came back to it.  I did find it worthwhile to power through the end, but overall, I just wasn’t that engaged in the story or themes or really any of it.  But that’s okay. 

Now reading: Eragon

Also coming up are Ready Player One, White Cat, The Baseball Codes, Rebel Angels, The Mediator, One for the Money, and I will finally get around to reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Oh, and I need to re-read The Handmaid’s Tale for my book club (yes, that totally counts toward the 50, especially since I haven’t read it since high school) And that’s just what I have in my room.  Maybe I can do better than 50.  Stick around and find out. Even if I don’t post reviews for all of them, I’ll be sure to put a count at the bottom of my posts (stealing the idea of a count from a few other blogs that I read occasionally).

Books read in 2012: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment