Monday, September 26, 2011

Jamie is Elated that TV is back!

Nothing against my much-loved summer replacement shows, or my Netflix instant watch queue (yes, I have some opinions on that topic, but that is for another day), but I am loving the return of TV.  There is an abundance of crap on TV, but that just makes the stuff I take the time to view seem all the better.  The quality of what I watch varies, but it all entertains me, so here are my preliminary thoughts after a week of premieres.


Castle, Hawaii 5-0, & NCIS: There is a new sheriff in town.


Each of these shows lost a person in a position of power at the end of last season, Captain Montgomery was killed in a gun fight, Wo Fat killed the Governor, and the Sec-Nav had to step down after a scandal.  These people are all in positions of power that greatly impact the lead characters on the show and we saw right away in the premieres how the changes would impact things.  The new no-nonsense captain on Castle is in no mood to put up with her department's resident writer, no matter who his friends are, which should add for some quality conflict where we deal with the reality that there is no way a writer should in this position.  In Hawaii the Lieutenant Governor reinstated 5-0, but not with the same red-tape cutting abilities that they had previously.  We saw the new Sec-Nav at the end of last season, giving Tony a special assignment, but we saw a whole lot more of him in the NCIS premiere as we all pieced together the last few months along with DiNozzo.  A lot more happened on these shows to set up the season - Beckett lied about what she remembered as Castle hid the truth to protect her, Alex Mack, I mean, Larissa Olenik's character is actually (surprise!) working with Wo Fat (who killed off Victor Hess, so there go all my vampires battling in the sunlight comments), and we have new nemesis on NCIS (and Scott Wolf, who finally looks almost as old as he actually was when he played a high school student on Party of Five) - but I think the biggest adjustments for our characters will come because of these leadership changes.  They don't just have a new challenge this season, they will have to alter the way they go about taking them on, or work harder at keeping their real efforts from the boss.


How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, & Glee: They just keep making me laugh.


Drunk Marshall, Sheldon trying to figure out what Penny & Raj did, Barney & Robin's dance, Brittany, drunk Marshall, Amy's excitement about a sleepover with her bestie Penny, Howard & Raj making out via Skype, Leonard's attempt at cyber sex via Skype, Bernadette yelling at Raj but still being nice, the red chair, Marshall on the internet, Martin Short, Sue Sylvester, Emma thinking Kurt & Rachel were an item, Blaine & those red pants singing Tom Jones, & of course drunk naked Marshall. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.  The premieres set up a great new season for all, and I even think Glee is back on track after an entertaining but scattered season 2. 


The New Girl, 2 Broke Girls, Ringer: New shows!


Last season Hawaii 5-0 was the only new show that I really got into, but I am giving 3 (so far, I do intend to check out the fairy tale show(s) as well) a try this year.  The New Girl was brilliant and by far the winner.  Zooey Deschanel & her supporting men have a great chemistry and I laughed at the entire show.  I hope they can keep it up.  2 Broke Girls had me laughing as well, although I am not sure if it's just Kat Dennings or if the show as a whole will be able to keep my interest for long, but regardless, I was entertained.  After the premiere of Ringer I was left a little uncertain.  I love Sarah Michelle Gellar, but I'm concerned about the soap opera gimmicky nature of her playing multiple rolls (no matter how well she does it).  That said, if they can play up the mystery elements with just the right level or drama, I will probably get hooked.  I haven't watched the second episode yet (The New Girl is going to win that battle on a weekly basis) and will reserve further judgment at least until I watch that.  There was a great deal of exposition in the pilot, so I feel viewing a "normal" episode is only fair. 


That's my review of premiere week.  This 8 day wait thing has started with Fox apparently, so we'll have to see how that works out (and if I cave and try out Hulu+), but regardless of how/when I watch it, I am glad that new TV is back!

No comments:

Post a Comment