Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer Hiatus - Jamie's Excuses

You may have noticed a complete and utter lack of posts this summer.  And now, Kacey is done with school for the quarter and you'd think that would mean more time and more posts.  But instead she is in an internetless teepee on a secluded island.  So what is my excuse, you ask?  I don't have anything good like an island with limited connectivity, but here is a list of what I have been doing instead of writing blog entries this summer. Think of this as a mid-summer "how I spent my summer blog-cation" type of post:

  • Watching all 24 episodes of the IT Crowd.  This takes a lot of focus, especially when watching at the gym.  It is very easy to laugh so hard you lose your balance and nearly fall off the elliptical or treadmill.  Watch it, but please use caution. 
  • Watching summer replacement shows.  Rizzoli & Isles being the best, but I also love The Closer and Franklin & Bash.  Wishing I was caught up on Eureka so I could be watching that as well, but it'll have to wait.
  • Attempting to watch Twin Peaks with Meryl, but I don't know how far we are going to make it.  I want to know who killed Laura Palmer (without googling it), but I'm not sure how many more dancing midgets in red suits I can handle.
  • Staying up way past my admittedly early bedtime for the first Pottermore clue so that I could track down the magical quill to see if I am indeed magical.  As I suspected, I am, and in a few weeks I will be perusing Pottermore during the beta period.  I can't properly express how unbelievably happy this has made me. You have a few days left to catch the remaining clues and see if you're magical. 
  • Reading!  (I feel the need to emphasize that while I spend a great deal of time watching TV, it is not the only thing I do).  I re-read Harry Potter and that kicked off a reading frenzy where I read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, the Midnighters series, Fire, Gift from the Sea, The Good Year, and A Great and Terrible Beauty.  Oh, and the 2nd volume of the Walking Dead and the 8th and final volume of the Buffy season 8 comic (can't wait for season 9).  So, yeah, see, I do more than just watch TV.
  • Cleaning a deck with gross disgusting chemicals (I will never undo the damage I did to the environment, but it was not my decision to use them, and I am really sorry about it), staining that deck, and panting the rail on another deck.  These are quality family bonding activities and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • Telling everyone else to be patient and quit whining because summer would eventually show up, with less and less certainty with every passing day.  This week I finally feel like I might be right.  Better late than never.  And if it sticks around Meryl says we may actually get tomatoes.
  • Having my hopes raised and then crushed by the Mariners.
So that, along with an insanely busy work schedule and an uber-nerdy adventure in Florida (Leaky Con) are my excuses as to why there has been a complete lack of posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment